The values, and skills listed apply to every person who has an active role as a leader in the church. This includes pastors, teachers, and other workers in the church. Not all have an official title. Although the following list is not complete in every detail it demonstrates the attitudes, and skills we try to attain as leaders in the church.
- They have shown themselves approved over time through recognizable fruits, not being new converts.
1 Timothy 3:2-6,10; 2 Timothy 2:15; 1 Thessalonians 2:4; Matthew 7:15-20; Galatians 5:22
- Respected by others outside the church, showing mercy, and forgiveness to all.
1 Timothy 3:7; Luke 6:27-39
- Do all things in the church as servants to others out of humility. Not having selfish ambitions, but desiring to give more than to receive.
Matthew 20:26-27; 1 Peter 5:5; James 3:13-16; Philippians 2:3-8
- Demonstrate gentleness, compassion, patience, kindness and humility. Doing things out of love for God, and others.
Colossians 3: 12-14; 1 Corinthians 16:14; Ephesians 5:1-2
- Our goal as leaders is to build up others through encouragement rather than tearing them down, even when we are frustrated.
Ephesians 4:25-32; Romans 14:19; Hebrews 10:25
- They recognize that Jesus Christ is the authoritative leader in the church, and depend on others having differing gifts. They do not take everything upon themselves out of arrogance, but realize that they are connected to others in the church in which Jesus Christ is working.
Ephesians 4:15-16; Romans 12:3-5; 1 Timothy 3:2-4; 1 Peter 3:1-7; Ephesians 5:22-29; 1 Corinthians 7:10-11; Psalm 68:5-6.
- Not looking for credit or recognition for what they do, but special honor to those who may be weaker, or lacking.
Matthew 6:1, 1 Corinthians 12:12,24
- Their lives show the working and fullness of the Holy Spirit through their faith, works, and wisdom in what they do.
Acts 6:3; Romans 8:5; James 2:14-17
- Guide and train others in the church for ministry through recruiting, teaching, and hands-on training so that the Kingdom of God may be expanded, and the church may be unified, attaining a full, and mature of faith in Jesus Christ.
Matthew 28:10-20; Ephesians 4:11-13; Mark 3:14
- Ready to do what is necessary at any time when they have not had time to prepare.
2 Timothy 4:2